The Via Carpatia European Grouping of Territorial Cooperation with Limited Liability was established on 31.05.2013 by the municipalities of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county in Hungary and Košice county in Slovakia. The operating area of the EGTC covers 14 003 km2, including the total surface of the two founders. The population of the Grouping is 1 485 207 people and its seat is based in Košice, Slovakia.
The objectives of the EGTC are the following:
- drawing up joint development strategies and projects in the following areas:
- employment and social sphere;
- support for agricultural production;
- presentation and preservation of cultural heritage;
- initiatives to acquire the management status of cross-border programmes financed by EU funds;
- integration in the following areas:
- healthcare, passenger and road transport, municipal waste management, flood protection, environmental protection, cycle paths, Tokaj wine region, energy services, disaster management, investment incentives, cross-border logistics and industrial development;
- joint action on the diversion of international flows of goods.